Best Roof Top Tents for Toyota Tacoma
Built for off-roading, the Toyota Tacoma is a top choice if you love thrilling outdoor adventures, from camping in the woods to spending nights in the wild.
And for an even better outdoor experience, a rooftop tent (RTT) is the icing on your cake. Unlike ground tents, it’s more spacious, safe from animals, and extremely easy to set up.
As a Tacoma owner, Rooftop Tents USA has endless tent options for you. So, if you haven’t had the pleasure of skygazing from your Tacoma roof, now is the perfect time.
In this guide, we’ll answer the frequently asked questions about Toyota Tacoma rooftop tents and review four of the best Tacoma RTTs in the market.
Here’s what you’ll learn:
- What is a rooftop tent?
- What are the common features of a rooftop tent?
- Why have a rooftop tent for your Toyota Tacoma?
- Which are the best Toyota Tacoma rooftop tents?
- What’s the price range for Toyota Tacoma’s rooftop tents?
(Click the link to jump ahead)
⭐ Score 9.3/10
Best for Large Families
- Comfortably sleeps a family of 4
- Withstands all weather conditions
- 3" thick high-density foam mattress
- Built-in skylight window that improves ventilation
The OVS Nomadic 4 Roof Top Tent is a sturdy, durable tent made with a waterproof body to withstand all harsh weather conditions. With a sleeping capacity of 4–5 people, this tent is an ideal choice if you’re camping with your family or a large group.
Important Features of the OVS Nomadic 4 Extended Roof Top Tent
- 3" thick high-density foam mattress - Thicker than most rooftop tents’ mattresses which are 2” wide, hence provides maximum comfort during sleep
- Mesh screen on the windows - Prevents insects from getting into the tent and increases airflow within the tent
- Heavy-duty Diamond Plate - Insulates the tent’s base to keep you warm during the cold season
How the OVS Nomadic 4 Compares With Other Toyota Tacoma Roof Top Tents
- Extra protection - The RTT features a mesh screen on its windows for added protection from insects.
- Thickest mattress - It has a 3" thick high-density foam mattress that offers the best comfort when resting or sleeping.
⭐ Score 9.5/10
Best for Maximum Rest
- Optional annex for extra space
- 2.5" thick high-density foam mattress
- Includes an anti-condensation mat
- Sleeps 3–4 people comfortably
If you’re looking for a well-built, comfortable, and lightweight rooftop tent for your long-distance drives, the Hutch Tents Apex 3 Roof Top Tent is for you. With a sturdy aluminum frame, thick high-density mattress, and waterproof canvas body fabric, this model will give you lifetime service, ensuring you get a good night’s rest.
Important Features of the Hutch Tents Apex 3 Roof Top Tent
- High-density foam mattress - Ensures you have a good night’s sleep
- Anti-condensation mat - Keeps your tent dry and clean, preventing molds and mildew growth
- Optional annex - For extra living space
How the Hutch Tents Apex 3 Compares With Other Toyota Tacoma Roof Top Tents
- Provides extra sheltered space - The tent includes an optional annex that can be purchased separately for extra ground space when needed.
- Extra dryness - The anti-condensation mat keeps the mattress and tent’s base clean and dry, away from moisture, mold, and mildew.
⭐ Score 9.3/10
The Best Budget Rooftop Tent
- 2.5" thick high-density memory foam mattress
- A rainfly to prevent water leaks
- Weighs only 100 lbs
- Waterproof, marine-grade polyester body fabric
The Overland Vehicle Systems TMBK 3 Person Roof Top Tent is an excellent choice if you want a low-cost tent for your Toyota Tacoma without compromising on quality.
Important Features of the Overland Vehicle Systems TMBK 3 RTT
- Marine-grade 600D rip-stop polyester body fabric - Strong and sturdy enough to withstand harsh weather conditions
- Rainfly - Prevents water leaks during heavy rains
- Easy to install - Comes with all the installation accessories for an easy setup process
How the OVS TMBK 3 Compares With Other Toyota Tacoma Roof Top Tents
- Super lightweight - It only weighs 108 lbs, making it the lightest in our list.
- Extra protection - The rooftop tent includes a rainfly that prevents water leaks and keeps the tent dry, offering maximum protection in the rainy season.
⭐ Score 9.7/10
Best for Lightning-Fast Installation
- Lighting-fast setup and take down process
- Optional annex for extra sleeping space
- Comfortably sleeps 5 people
- Oversized windows that give 360° views
While most rooftop tents take anywhere between 3–5 minutes to set up, the Freespirit Recreation High Country 80" Rooftop Tent takes less than 30 seconds to install.
Important Features of the FSR High Country 80" Rooftop Tent
- Tri-layer body fabric technology - Helps to keep you warm during the cold winters and cool in the hot summers
- Fast installation and take down - Setup and takedown process is fully automated, letting you install the tent within 15–30 seconds, all on your own
- Extra storage at the top - Space to add essential travel gear on the tent’s top
How the FSR High Country 80” Compares With Other Toyota Tacoma Roof Top Tents
- Fastest installation time - The RTT sets up in less than a minute, faster than most RTTs which take 3–5 minutes.
- Extra storage space - Its roof has a storage space to store essential camping gear for easy access.
What Is a Rooftop Tent?
A rooftop tent is a camping setup perched on a vehicle's roof to provide campers with safe accommodation.
The tent’s quick setup time (usually just 3–4 minutes) means you can easily camp anywhere, while its sturdy construction makes it perfect for the rugged wilderness.
Since the rooftop tent gets installed on your Toyota Tacoma’s roof, you’ll have more space in the truck for family, friends, pets, or storage during your road adventures.
The rooftop tent comes in 2 major types:
- Hard Shell Rooftop Tent: This type of tent is made of more robust material like aluminum, hard plastic, or fiberglass, which gives it a rigid appearance. Due to its sturdy construction, this tent can withstand harsh weather conditions, making it an excellent all-season tent.
- Soft Shell Rooftop Tent: As the name suggests, the soft shell RTT’s body is made with a foldable and lightweight waterproof fabric like canvas or nylon. When unfolded, it covers a larger surface area, making it spacious enough for up to 5 or 6 campers.
Advantages and Benefits of a Roof Top Tent for Your Toyota Tacoma
The rooftop tent is a convenient bed-on-wheels that’s ready to roll anytime you wish to hop on your Tacoma and drive away from everyday life, right into nature.
But there’s much more than convenience with rooftop tents. You’ll also enjoy benefits like:
While camping out in the woods, your rooftop tent will keep you out of animals’ reach as it's installed off the ground level.
It will be much harder for climbers like squirrels, or creepy crawlers like spiders and snakes to get into your tent; especially if you remove the telescopic ladder when away.
A rooftop tent installed on your Tacoma is also hard to steal and gives you maximum privacy compared to a ground tent that can be dismantled or stripped away in minutes.
Maximum Comfort During Sleep
A rooftop tent comes with a built-in high-density foam mattress—often 2–3” wide—that’s thicker and more comfortable than air mattresses and sleeping pads.
Combined with your tent’s thickness and waterproof walls, you’ll almost forget you’re sleeping on the roof of a pickup truck.
Common Features of a Roof Top Tent for Toyota Tacoma
The most striking feature of a rooftop tent is its super fast installation time. A regular ground tent will take hours to set up; and even before the installation, it will take a while to locate a level ground.
But a rooftop tent only takes 3 steps to install:
- Get to your campsite
- Pop up or unfold your tent within 5 minutes
- Relax by the campfire, ready for a peaceful night
With a rooftop tent, you can comfortably camp in the rain, heat, or snow. Your sweet camping season won’t have to be shortened by summer heatwaves or unexpected snowstorms after winter.
Here are other features that make the rooftop tent a must-have for your Tacoma.
1 - A Detachable Annex for Extra Space
Models like the Hutch Tents Apex 3 Roof Top Tent include an optional detachable annex that provides extra sheltered space where you can:
- Cook, eat, or clean
- Store extra travel gears
- Get dressed before heading out
- Relax with friends and family
2 - A Quality Travel Cover for Maximum Protection
The best rooftop tents come with a reinforced travel cover to reduce wear and tear, extending their service life.
3 - Large Windows for Panoramic Views
Most rooftop tents have large windows that create an indoor-outdoor feeling, letting you gaze at the beautiful skies from the convenience of your bed.
In addition, as you roll up the awnings of your soft-shell rooftop tent, you’ll enjoy nature’s cool breeze, which is heaven when camping on those hot summer afternoons.
Price Range for Toyota Tacoma Roof Top Tents
Whether you’re working with a tight budget or wouldn’t mind stretching it a bit for your choice rooftop tent, we’ll cater to your needs.
Below are our current prices for the Toyota Tacoma tents reviewed in this guide:
OVS Nomadic 4 Extended Roof Top Tent
Hutch Tents Apex 3 Roof Top Tent
OVS TMBK 3 Person Roof Top Tent
FSR High Country 80” Rooftop Tent
What People Are Saying About Their Toyota Tacoma’s Rooftop Tents
Toyota Tacoma owners are happy with the lifetime service they receive from their sturdy, durable, and comfortable rooftop tents.
Here’s what they love about their tents:
- Super spacious and comfortable for maximum rest
- Waterproof fabric that protects them from rain
- Extra large windows for a panoramic view of the skies
- Safer and more convenient than ground tents
Make Lasting Memories With Rooftop Tents USA
Match your Toyota Tacoma with a high-quality rooftop tent and nothing can stop you from adventurous camping, whether solo or with friends and family.
At Rooftop Tents USA, we know the satisfaction a thrilling adventure brings. We’ll help you purchase the best Toyota Tacoma rooftop tent for the most amazing outdoor experiences.
Whether you’re looking for a solo travel tent or one large enough for your entire family, we’ve got you covered. Check out our entire collection of Toyota Tacoma rooftop tents for endless options.
Subscribe to our newsletter
Promotions, new products and sales. Directly to your inbox.
Free & Fast shipping
Free shipping on all orders - no minimum order required!
Hassle Free Returns
Check out our Return Policy
Speak to our RTT experts!
Your payment information is processed securely.