2 Person Rooftop Tents
The smallest rooftop camping category is two-person tents.
If you’re flying solo, traveling as a couple, or camping with your golden retriever, a two-person tent is what you’re looking for.
If you’re new to the exciting world of rooftop tents, we know you’ve got some questions. In this two-person rooftop tent buyers guide, we hope to answer them all.
Here’s what you’ll learn:
- What a two-person rooftop tent is
- Advantages, benefits, and common features
- Product spotlights on three of our favorite two-person rooftop tents
- What price range to expect for two-person rooftop tents
(Click the link to jump ahead)
⭐ Score 9.2/10
Best for a Great Night’s Sleep
- Sleeps two people
- Easy setup and mount thanks to universal brackets
- Compact design that allows it to be mounted on an SUV, sedan, trailer, or truck
- Superior interior comfort thanks to its spacious A-frame design to allow sufficient headspace and the two-and-a-half-inch high-density foam mattress
- Comes with large internal pockets for storing camping accessories and gear
The Hutch Tents Prospector 2 Rooftop Tent with Skylights is designed to provide a restful night’s sleep in the great outdoors.
Best Features of the Hutch Tents Prospector 2 Rooftop Tent
- 2.5” high-density foam mattress - This mattress is extra thick, compared to most rooftop tent mattresses that measure closer to 2 inches.
- Total weight of just 95 lbs - This is one of the most lightweight rooftop models on the market, making it easy to move around and reducing your loaded vehicle weight.
How the Hutch Tents Prospector 2 Compares With Other Two-Person Tents
Compared to other two-person tents, this model is modestly sized but built for maximum comfort. Enjoy the spacious A-frame design, extra thick foam mattress, skylights, and plenty of interior pocket space.
Best for Camping in All Seasons and Mixed Weather
- Sleeps 2–3 people
- Superior all-weather protection thanks to 420D Heavy Duty Polyester Oxford Waterproof Material
- Fits perfectly a top most car models
- Has a 96” telescoping ladder with a locking strap and steel hinges
The Overland Vehicle Systems Nomadic 2 is rough and ready. At an affordable price, the OVS Nomadic 2 has all-season features like a heavy-duty rip-stop canvas body and marine-grade stainless steel hardware.
Best Features of the Overland Vehicle Systems Nomadic 2 Rooftop Tent
- Durability - Body made from 600D heavy-duty poly-cotton rip-stop canvas.
- 750-lbs weight capacity - Strong enough for 2–3 people plus cargo.
How the Overland Vehicle Systems Nomadic 2 Compares With Other Two-Person Tents
This tent is made with the strongest, highest-quality materials possible, from the frame to the rain cover, making the OVS Nomadic 2 a worthy companion in any terrain.
Best for Lightning-Fast Installation
- Sleeps 2–3 people
- Tent deploys instantly, allowing you to set up in a matter of seconds
- At 120 lbs it's very lightweight, making it portable and very manageable during installation
- Allows a comfortable and panoramic viewing experience because of its design, which increases in height from back to front
Do you set up camp over and over again? The ability to install your tent as quickly as possible is a great benefit for campers that are always on the go. With that goal in mind, you won’t do better than the Freespirit Recreation Adventure 55” GS Premium.
Best Features of the Freespirit Recreation Adventure 55” GS Premium Rooftop Tent
- Lightweight - Super lightweight, at just 120 lbs.
- Panoramic views - Design offers room to fully sit up and take in your surroundings through windows on all sides.
How the Freespirit Recreation Adventure 55” GS Premium Rooftop Tent Compares With Other Two-Person Tents
All rooftop tents are easy to install, but the Freespirit Recreation series is extra easy, typically needing no more than a minute or two to complete the entire process.
What Is a 2-Person Roof Top Tent?
Rooftop tents are camping setups that can be installed on the roof rack or bed of a motor vehicle. Rooftop tent camping allows for a camping experience that’s safe and cozy, even when your camping grounds have rough terrain or limited space.
Rooftop tents come in these sizes:
- 2 person
- 3 person
- 4 person
- 5 person
Larger tents that can sleep more people are higher-priced, heavier, and take up more space when packed or open.
A two-person tent fits two people comfortably. The fit is typically tight, but adequate.
Picking the appropriate rooftop tent depends on your normal camping group size. However, if you tend to camp solo or in groups of two, a two-person tent provides a comfortable, budget-friendly solution.
Advantages and Benefits of Rooftop Tents
When you travel with a rooftop tent, you can camp more easily, more comfortably, and in more places than ever before.
Here are the top benefits you’ll enjoy with your rooftop tent.
Quick and Simple Installation
Do rooftop tents seem complex and confusing? We promise—they’re not. Installing a rooftop tent is actually much easier than setting up a traditional ground-mounted tent.
It takes no more than 10 minutes (usually just 3–4 minutes) to set up a rooftop tent.
You don’t need special skills or tools, and you won’t spend a lot of time and energy hammering stakes or tangling with poles and rope.
Just open up your tent and the entire structure will pop into position. Set up a few simple parts, and you’re all set.
Comfort and Safety
When it comes to comfort, there’s no comparison between rooftop tents and traditional tents. In a rooftop tent, you’ll sleep blissfully on a soft mattress that’s installed on a flat, firm base.
Elevated atop your vehicle, you’ll also be safe from all sorts of outdoor hazards. Mud, bugs, and curious ground-level predators won’t be a threat to your rooftop camping experience.
Common Features of Rooftop Tents
The most striking feature of rooftop tents is their incredibly quick installation process. Just undo a few straps and the tent basically sets itself up in an instant.
Along with convenience, rooftop tents provided comfort. Your campsite is elevated, flat, safe, and cozy.
In a traditional tent, you have to deal with the confines and bumpiness of your terrain. With a rooftop tent, you can camp comfortably anywhere you can park your vehicle.
Here are a few more key features that differentiate rooftop tents from traditional tents.
1 - Hard Shell or Soft Shell Design
Rooftop tents come packed in either a hard or a soft shell. Both varieties attach to roof racks and pop open for rapid installation.
Hard shell tents open up extra fast, as the shell top simply pops open to form the tent’s roof. Meanwhile, soft shell tents usually provide slightly more interior space.
2 - Ladder Access
Rooftop tents are accessed by a ladder. Like every part of your rooftop tent, the ladder is built-in and quickly pops out when you open up the tent.
3 - Built-in Mattress
A built-in mattress simplifies your sleeping arrangements. Rooftop tent mattresses are usually made with 2–3” high-density foam. The mattress is larger and softer than typical sleeping pads and fills your tent’s entire floor area.
Now, let’s check out three of our favorite two-person rooftop tents.
Price Range for Rooftop Tents
The table below shows the current Rooftop Tents USA price range for two-person through five-person tent sizes.
Note that some models are categorized for a range of campers (e.g., 2–3 person tents) and are included in both rows below. Three-person tents are the most common, so that group has the widest price range.
|Rooftop Tent Size||Lowest Price||Highest Price|
What People Are Saying About Rooftop Tents
The Great American Roadtrip is more popular than ever before, along with nomadic lifestyles that embrace nights spent under the stars.
For modern travelers and outdoor enthusiasts, rooftop tents provide the perfect camping solution.
Here’s what campers say they love about rooftop tents:
- High-quality construction means your rooftop tent is an investment that will last for many years.
- Security and comfort provided by an elevated campsite makes camping more appealing to a broader group.
- Super fast setup makes it easy to camp more often with less hassle—ideal for long road trips.
- Vehicle-sized campsite footprint opens up more spaces as potential campsites.
Can You Really Set up a Rooftop Tent in Five Minutes?
Setting up a beautiful campsite in five minutes is an incredibly satisfying experience. In fact, five minutes is a generous estimate. Many rooftop tents can be fully installed in closer to two minutes.
All the leading rooftop tent brands offer super-fast install times. Here’s a look at a Freespirit model in action. Check out how fast and easy the tent pops into place.
Freespirit rooftop tent video showing the tent’s fast and easy installation process.
Find Your Adventure With Rooftop Tents USA
For avid campers, a rooftop tent is the most exciting purchase you’ll ever make.
At Rooftop Tents USA, we love helping you connect to amazing travel experiences. Our tents open up new possibilities for spectacular nights under the stars.
View our entire collection of rooftop tents here.
If you have any questions, contact Rooftop Tents USA via email, chat, or phone, and we’ll get back to you within one hour during business hours.
Subscribe to our newsletter
Promotions, new products and sales. Directly to your inbox.
Free & Fast shipping
Free shipping on all orders - no minimum order required!
Hassle Free Returns
Check out our Return Policy
Speak to our RTT experts!
Your payment information is processed securely.