3 Person Rooftop Tents
Rooftop tents provide incredible freedom and versatility.
Of course, we know it can be tricky ordering big-ticket items online.
So, let’s answer all of your questions about three-person rooftop tents so that you can confidently choose the setup that perfectly meets your needs.
Here’s what we’ll cover:
- What is a three-person rooftop tent?
- Advantages, benefits, and common features
- Product spotlights on three of our favorite three-person rooftop tents
- Price range for three-person rooftop tents
(Click the link to jump ahead)
Best for Spacious and Comfy Camping
The Overland Vehicle Systems (OTS) Nomadic is an amazing all-around three-person tent. Every component is high-quality and super easy to use for beginners.
The OTS Nomadic offers superior comfort, spaciousness, and simplicity.
Best Features of the Overland Vehicle Systems Nomadic 3 Person Rooftop Tent
- 3” high-density foam mattress — this mattress is extra thick, with most rooftop tent mattresses measuring closer to 2”
- 62” x 122” x 51” open dimensions — these extra-roomy dimensions create incredibly comfortable sleeping quarters
How the OVS Nomadic Compares With Other Three-Person Tents
- Interior Space — The OVS Nomadic provides more space than most rooftop tents. With jumbo-sized interior dimensions and a weight capacity of 850 lbs, this tent easily sleeps a family of three.
Best for Sedans and Small SUVs
The Freespirit Recreation High Country is fairly lightweight (154 lbs) and fits perfectly atop many sedans and small SUVs. It’s a great choice for campers with vehicles that might be a bit small for other rooftop tent options.
Best Features of the FreeSpirit Recreation High Country 55” Rooftop Tent
- Easy install — this tent can be set up in around one minute
- 750-lbs weight capacity — strong and wide enough for 2–3 people
- Oversized windows — 360-degree views from inside
How the FreeSpirit Recreation High Country Compares With Other Three-Person Tents
- Versatility — The FreeSpirit Recreation High Country is perfect for any vehicle, but it’s especially nice if you have a smaller vehicle that might not be ideal for larger, heavier tents.
Best for Budget-Focused Campers
Is the price tag the only thing standing between you and a rooftop tent? Then check out the OVS TMBK, one of the most affordable rooftop tents on the market.
Best Features of the Overland Vehicle Systems TMBK 3 Person Rooftop Tent
- Lightweight — this tent is super lightweight, at just 108 lbs
- Stainless steel hinges — all parts of this surprisingly low-priced tent are built to last
- Built-in skylight window — provides easy access stargazing and ventilation
How the OVS TMBK Compares With Other Three-Person Tents
- Affordability — If you’re looking for value, you won’t beat the OVS TMBK. This tent has everything you need, including high-quality, durable materials. You get it all for one of the lowest prices you’ll find for a rooftop tent.
What Is a 3 Person Roof Top Tent?
A rooftop tent is a camping accommodation that can be installed on a rack over the roof or bed of a motor vehicle. This unique setup allows for a safer, more comfortable and efficient camping experience, even when the terrain is rough or space is limited.
Rooftop tents come in the following sizes:
Higher-capacity models like four or five-person tents are higher-priced. They’re also heavier and take up more space.
Choosing the right rooftop tent depends on your typical camp group size. However, for many campers, three-person tents hit the sweet spot.
In a three-person rooftop tent, you can fit an entire small family, or enjoy a spacious night’s rest for one or two people, all with a lightweight model that’s cost-efficient, space-efficient, and a breeze to install.
Advantages and Benefits of Rooftop Tents
A rooftop tent provides the freedom to camp in more places. It’s a simple, yet luxurious solution to just about every challenge that traditional tent camping presents.
Here are a few of the key advantages you’ll experience with a rooftop tent.
Super Easy Installation
Rooftop tents might seem complicated, but they’re actually much easier to set up than traditional tents.
You’ll spend a maximum of 10 minutes (usually more like 3–4 minutes) setting up. No special skills or tools are required. You don’t need to hammer an endless number of stakes or wrestle with a bunch of poles.
Simply open up your tent and the process nearly completes itself as the frame pops open. Put a few parts in place and you’re good to go.
Safety and Comfort
Camping hazards range from annoying to dangerous. Bugs, mud, snakes, predators—ground level isn’t always a relaxing place to sleep in the great outdoors.
When you’re elevated in a rooftop tent, terrifying creepy crawlies won’t be moseying around your door flaps. And if it rains, your tent won’t become a mud pit.
Best of all, you’ll be way more comfortable than you would be in a traditional tent. You sleep on a cozy mattress that’s situated on a firm, flat base.
Common Features of Rooftop Tents
When you see a rooftop tent in action, the first thing you’ll be struck by is how incredibly easy it is to install. Undo a few straps and simply allow the tent to open itself up.
The next thing you’ll notice is the fabulous comfort afforded by the design. You’re elevated, flat, secure, and cozy.
Traditional tents are subject to the confines and bumps of your terrain. A rooftop tent is unaffected by these ground-level concerns.
Your rooftop tent always automatically pops open to its maximum, uncompromised full size. The interior is spacious, cozy, and full of well-designed features such as pockets and light-blocking windows.
Here are a few more key features you’ll enjoy with a rooftop tent.
1 - Soft Shell or Hard Shell Design
Rooftop tents come stored in either a hard or a soft shell. Both types attach to roof racks and pop open for fast installation.
Hard shell tents open up a bit more quickly than soft shells, with the shell top simply popping up to become the tent's roof. On the other hand, soft shell tents typically provide a bit more interior space.
2 - Ladder Access
Rooftop tent access is provided by a ladder. Some tents include ladders on both sides. Like all parts of your rooftop tent, the ladder is built-in and easily pops out when you open up the tent.
3 - Built-In Mattress
Rooftop tents typically have a built-in mattress.
Usually made from 2–3” high-density foam, your mattress is larger and softer than the sleeping pads you typically travel with and cram into traditional tents.
Now, let’s check out a few of our favorite three-person rooftop tents.
Price Range for Rooftop Tents
Here’s the current Rooftop Tents USA price range for two-person through five-person tent sizes.
Note that some tents are categorized for a range of campers, e.g., 2–3 person tents, and are included in both rows below. Three-person tents are most common, so that group has the broadest price range.
|Rooftop Tent Size||Low Price||High Price|
What People Are Saying About Rooftop Tents
With more and more folks expanding their relationships with the great outdoors, rooftop tents are a great fit for adventurers of all ages.
Here’s what people love about rooftop tents:
- Investing in quality means no more replacing your tent every few years
- Improved security and comfort makes camping appealing for more people
- Easy setup makes it easier to camp more often with less work—great for long road trips with numerous campsites
- Small footprint makes it possible to camp in more places
Are Rooftop Tents Really That Easy to Set Up?
Until you’ve seen one in action, it’s hard to believe how easy it is to set up a rooftop tent. So, check out this setup vid and be amazed.
Rooftop Tent Camping: Adventurous, Secure, and Cozy
Excited yet? We know the feeling.
At Rooftop Tents USA, we’re passionate about exploring the great outdoors. We love that rooftop tents help more people enjoy incredible camping experiences.
Check out our entire collection of rooftop tents here.
Reach out to our team of tent experts any time. We’re always happy to answer your questions.
Contact us via phone, chat, or email, and we’ll get back to you within one hour during business hours.
Subscribe to our newsletter
Promotions, new products and sales. Directly to your inbox.
Free & Fast shipping
Free shipping on all orders - no minimum order required!
Hassle Free Returns
Check out our Return Policy
Speak to our RTT experts!
Your payment information is processed securely.