Best Roof Top Tents for FJ Cruiser
Toyota’s FJ Cruiser is the SUV equivalent of a classic cult film—underappreciated during its run, yet more and more popular as time goes by.
Since production stopped in 2014, the FJ Cruiser has continued to gain fans. Drivers lucky enough to own a Cruiser appreciate the vehicle’s reliability, retro design, and off-road capabilities.
With your Cruiser, you can explore more places. Want to camp in more places, too? All you need for incredibly versatile, low-hassle camping is a rooftop tent.
Let’s learn about:
- Which rooftop tents can be used on an FJ Cruiser
- Advantages of rooftop tents vs ground tents
- Our favorite rooftop tents for FJ Cruiser
(Click the link to jump ahead)
⭐ Score 9.3/10
Best for Extra Living Space
- Anti-condensation mat included
- Sliding adjustable aluminum ladder
- Option to add annex section
- 2.5” high-density foam mattress
The Hutch Tents Apex 3 fits three campers and provides superior comfort with a 2.5” high-density foam mattress. If you’re looking for more space, add the optional annex section to add some ground-level living space to your campsite.
Important Features of the Hutch Tents Apex 3 RTT
- Optional annex - Add the annex section to connect your tent’s living area to the ground level.
- Waterproof canvas - Canvas is waterproof and UV/mold/mildew-resistant.
- Anti-condensation mat - Included under the mattress.
How the Hutch Tents Apex 3 Compares With Other Rooftop Tents
- Extra thick mattress - The Apex 3’s 2.5” mattress is the thickest you’ll find in a rooftop tent
- Lightweight - One of the lightest tents in the three-person category, weighing just 141 lbs
The Apex 3 is a terrific choice for low-hassle, comfortable camping. The tent is lightweight yet built tough with an aluminum frame. Get the best outdoor sleep of your life on the super thick 2.5” high-density foam mattress.
⭐ Score 9.2/10
Best Tent for Your Budget
- Comfortably sleeps up to 3 people
- 81" telescoping ladder
- 100G PVC Heavy Duty Matt Black Travel Cover
- Lightweight—just 108 lbs
For many would-be rooftop tent owners, the only issue is the price tag. Fortunately, there are a few surprisingly affordable designs, including the TMBK—one of the lowest-priced tents we carry at Rooftop Tents USA.
Important Features of the OVS TMBK Roof Top Tent
- Heavy-duty frame - Marine-grade steel hinges and aluminum-plated base.
- Waterproof rainfly - 420D polyester Oxford material.
- Weight capacity - Supports up to 750 lbs.
How the OVS TMBK Compares With Other Rooftop Tents
- Price - The most affordable option among large rooftop tents.
- Lightweight - One of the lightest rooftop tent designs, weighing just 108 lbs.
If you’re hesitant about committing to a rooftop tent, the TMBK is perfect. It’s lightweight, durable, and fits the whole family—one of the best values among all rooftop tents.
⭐ Score 9.7/10
Best for Smaller SUVs and Sedans
- 360-degree view of the surrounding
- In-built skylight window
- 30-60 seconds for set-up and take-down
An FJ Cruiser is strong enough to handle most rooftop tent designs. However, it’s always nice to have options. The Freespirit Recreation (FSR) High Country 55” fits up to three campers, but the design is small and lightweight. This tent is appropriate for smaller SUVs and sedans that can’t handle larger tents.
Important Features of the FSR High Country 55”
- Optional annex - Annex sold separately to add extra living space.
- Oversized windows - 360° views of your campsite from inside the tent.
- Durable - 600D Poly-Oxford body fabric.
How the FSR High Country 55” Compares With Other Rooftop Tents
- Softer bed surface - 1.5” high-density foam mattress on 2” expanded polyethylene (EPE) foam flooring.
- Extra headroom - 46” height for extra headroom.
The High Country 55” is a high-end tent for campers that are able to pay up for superior quality. The tent is fairly small and compact but makes incredible use of space with a box-like design that spreads horizontally across your vehicle roof.
⭐ Score 9.8/10
Best for Large Groups
- Includes a 3" thick high-density foam mattress
- All windows come with an insect screen
- Option to add annex
If you’re traveling with the whole family, the Overland Vehicle Systems (OVS) Nomadic 4 has room for everybody. This tent fits up to four campers and is ready for any kind of weather.
Important Features of the OVS Nomadic 4 RTT
- Weatherproof material - 600D poly/cotton rip-stop body.
- Stainless steel frame - Stainless steel marine-grade hardware.
- Weight capacity - This tent can support up to 950 lbs of campers and gear.
How the OVS Nomadic 4 Compares With Other Rooftop Tents
- Frame strength - Best weight capacity among all rooftop tents.
- All-weather durability - Every part of this tent is built for all-seasons camping, from the stainless steel frame to the thick ripstop tent body.
The OVS Nomadic 4 is ideal for families or other big camping groups that like to travel in every season. Any time of year, your crew can stay cozy and warm in this extra-large, extra-strong rooftop tent.
⭐ Score 9.4/10
Best Tent Size Options
- 170-degree Wide Angle View
- Aluminium body that makes it very durable
- Integrated LED light strip to light up the tent at night
The Freespirit Recreation (FSR) Odyssey series comes in two sizes:
- 49” for 1–2 campers
- 55” for 2–3 campers
Odyssey series tents are built for all-seasons camping and are installed in just a few seconds thanks to a gas strut system that’s built into the tent’s frame.
Important Features of the FSR Odyssey Series
- Choose your tent’s size - Enjoy the same great features in either a 1–2-person or 2–3-person tent.
- Interior lighting - LED interior light strip included.
- Hard shell design - Aluminum honeycomb plating frame.
How the FSR Odyssey Series Compares With Other Rooftop Tents
- Fast setup - Thanks to the gas strut system, you’ll set up camp in under one minute.
- Soft sleeping surface - 1.25” high-density foam mattress on 1.5” EPE flooring.
Using gas struts in the tent frame, the FSR Odyssey series sets up as fast as any tent on the market. You’ll also love the tent’s interior features, including LED lighting and an extra-cozy sleeping surface.
Which Rooftop Tents Can Be Used With an FJ Cruiser?
A rooftop tent is a camping accommodation that you install on the bed or roof rack of a car or truck.
If you drive an FJ Cruiser, most rooftop tents can be installed on your rack.
Before buying a rooftop tent, make sure that its weight doesn’t exceed your vehicle’s roof rack weight capacity. Packed rooftop tents typically weigh 100–200 lbs.
Vehicles and their roof racks have two different weight limits:
- Static weight: How much weight the vehicle can support while parked
- Dynamic weight: How much weight the vehicle can support during driving
Static weight limits are higher, i.e. a vehicle can handle a heavier load when it’s not moving.
Weight capacity varies by vehicle make and model, and tent weights also vary. So, review the specifications of both your FJ Cruiser model and the tents you’re considering before making a purchase.
Benefits and Advantages of Rooftop Tents
Compared to traditional ground tents, rooftop tents are generally higher quality and carry more features. Here are a few advantages you’ll enjoy when you camp in a rooftop tent.
Do rooftop tents seem complicated? Tricky to set up? In fact, pitching your rooftop tent is a breeze.
You’ll spend no more than 10 minutes (usually just 3–4 minutes) setting up your rooftop tent.
Undo a few straps and watch as the entire tent simply “pops” into place. Lower your ladder, throw your gear inside, and you’re all done.
Superior Comfort and Security
Imagine everything you love about camping, without the hassle, the mud, and the challenge of sleeping on the bumpy ground.
In a rooftop tent, there's no more tossing and turning on a sorry excuse for a sleeping pad. Instead, you’ll sleep peacefully on a foam mattress installed on a firm, flat base.
Better yet, you’ll be elevated—safely set apart from the muddy ground, the crawling insects, and the curious predators.
Price Range for Rooftop Tents
Let’s look at the current Rooftop Tents USA price range for two-person through five-person tents.
Note that several tents are categorized for a range of campers, e.g., 3–4 person tents, and are included in multiple rows below. Three-person tents are the most common, so that group has the widest price range.
Rooftop Tent Size
What Campers Are Saying About Rooftop Tents
Campers who have made the switch to rooftop tents will never go back to ground-level camping. Here’s what happy campers love most about rooftop tents:
- Improved safety and comfort make camping accessible and pleasant for more people.
- The lightning-fast setup helps you camp more often with minimal hassle.
- Reduced campsite footprint makes it easy to camp in all sorts of locations.
"Been in some nasty stuff and had no issues with leaks. Conversely, well ventilated in the summer when everything is open. Easy to set up when solo camping as well."
★★★★★ Hutch Tents Apex 3 Reviewer
"Amazing feeling to be tent camping in comfort mode! This tent mounted easily, easily opens/closes, durable materials and soft memory foam mattress. Awesome buy!"
★★★★★ OVS Nomadic 4 Reviewer
Pair Your FJ Cruiser With a Rooftop Tent
Ready to level up your camping game? Rooftop Tents USA has the best tents to transform your FJ Cruiser into the ultimate road trip vehicle. View our full collection of rooftop tents for Fj Cruiser below.
Subscribe to our newsletter
Promotions, new products and sales. Directly to your inbox.
Free & Fast shipping
Free shipping on all orders - no minimum order required!
Hassle Free Returns
Check out our Return Policy
Speak to our RTT experts!
Your payment information is processed securely.