Best Roof Top Tents for 4Runner
You chose a 4Runner because it’s a great vehicle for road trips and muddy adventures off the beaten path.
All that’s missing is the perfect tent.
If you love camping and you’ve got the perfect vehicle, it’s time to upgrade to a rooftop tent.
In this guide on rooftop tents for Toyota 4Runners, you’ll learn:
- Which rooftop tents can be used on a 4Runner
- Advantages that rooftop tents have over ground tents
- All about our favorite rooftop tent designs
(Click the link to jump ahead)
⭐ Score 9.4/10
Best Options for Choosing Your Perfect Tent Size
- Sleeps 1–2 or 2–3 campers, depending on model
- Hard shell design that's lightweight and oozes luxury
- Unique tri-layer body fabric that doubles up as an AC or heater, depending on the season
- Allows you to mount gear on top
The Freespirit Recreation (FSR) Odyssey series is available in two sizes:
- 49” for 1–2 campers
- 55” for 2–3 campers
Odyssey series tents are weatherproof, cozy, and install in just a few moments using gas struts built into the frame.
Important Features of the FSR Odyssey Series
- Choose your size - Get the same fantastic features in either a 1–2-person or 2–3-person tent.
- Interior lighting - LED interior light strip included.
- Hard shell design - Frame made from aluminum honeycomb plating.
How the FSR Odyssey Series Compares With Other Rooftop Tents
- Fastest setup - Gas struts enable complete setup in under one minute.
- Soft sleeping surface - 1.5” EPE flooring and a 1.25” high-density foam mattress.
Thanks to the gas struts in the tent frame, the FSR Odyssey series sets up amazingly quickly. After your effortless setup, you’ll love the tent’s interior features, including extra soft flooring and LED lighting.
⭐ Score 9.2/10
Best Budget-Friendly Rooftop Tent
- Sleeps up to 3 people comfortably
- Comes with a rainfly and a skylight window
- Its body fabric makes it usable during all the four seasons
Rooftop tents aren’t cheap. However, if cost is your main concern, consider the OVS TMBK, a high-quality tent with a surprisingly affordable price
Important Features of the OVS TMBK Roof Top Tent
- Heavy-duty frame - Marine-grade stainless steel hinges and aluminum-plated base.
- Waterproof rainfly - 420D heavy-duty polyester Oxford material.
- Weight capacity - Supports up to 750 lbs.
How the OVS TMBK Compares With Other Rooftop Tents
- Price - Among larger rooftop tents, you won’t find a better price.
- Lightweight - At just 108 lbs, this is one of the lightest rooftop tent designs.
Without compromising quality, the TMBK is easy on your wallet and light on your roof rack. Weighing just 108 lbs, this is one of the lightest rooftop tent designs on the market.
⭐ Score 9.7/10
Best for All-Weather Camping
- Sleeps up to 4 people
- Made using two durable fabrics that make it usable even during extreme weather conditions
- Improved ventilation because windows are made using breathable fabric
- Comes with a 3" built-in memory foam mattress
When you buy an Overland Vehicle Systems (OVS) tent, you know you’re getting the highest-quality materials and best weatherproof features. The spacious Nomadic 4 makes all-season camping possible for groups of up to four campers in a single tent.
Important Features of the OVS Nomadic 4 RTT
- Fully weatherproof material - 600D poly cotton rip-stop tent body.
- Stainless steel frame - Marine-grade 304 stainless steel hardware.
- Weight capacity - Handles up to 950 lbs, more weight than other leading tent designs.
How the OVS Nomadic 4 Compares With Other Rooftop Tents
- Extra strong frame - Best weight capacity among rooftop tents, capable of supporting 950 lbs.
- Superior all-weather durability - From the frame to the rainfly, you won’t find a tougher tent than the OVS Nomadic 4.
The OVS Nomadic 4 is perfect for families or other larger camping groups that like to camp every season. No matter the weather, your crew will enjoy the spacious confines of this super-strong, super-durable tent.
⭐ Score 9.2/10
Best for a Good Night’s Sleep
- Sleeps up to 5 people
- Soft shell design with a high-density foam mattress and an anti-condensation mat
- Built-in skylights for an enhanced view
- All-weather protection against crawlies, mold, mildew, rain, and UV rays
- Option to add annex section
If you never compromise on a good night’s sleep, check out the Hutch Tents Ontario 4. Enjoy an extra thick mattress, skylights, and spacious dimensions.
Important Features of the Hutch Tents Ontario 4 RTT
- Option annex section - Add a ground-level annex for additional living space.
- Skylight - Built-in skylight for stargazing.
- Lightweight - At just 145 lbs, this tent is lighter than most four or five-person rooftop tents.
How the Hutch Tents Ontario 4 Compares With Other Rooftop Tents
- Price - The most affordable rooftop tent that can sleep up to five campers.
- Optional extra living space - Add the optional annex to your tent purchase to open up a fully enclosed ground-level living space around your ladder landing area.
The Hutch Tents Ontario 4 is a durable, spacious tent. It’s also one of the lowest-priced designs among all rooftop tents. If you camp in large groups and appreciate a good bargain, this is the one for you.
⭐ Score 9.6/10
Best Tent for Large Camping Groups
- Sleeps up to 5 people
- Soft shell design featuring a fold-out design
- Integrated LED light strip
- All-weather protection thanks to its tri-layer fabric
The Freespirit Recreation High Country 80” maintains a low profile when packed but can sleep up to five campers. It’s an incredibly spacious tent that’s more than capable of keeping you dry and warm in all seasons and weather.
Important Features of the FSR High Country 80” RTT
- Sleeps up to five - Among the largest rooftop tents available.
- Oversized windows - 360° views of your surroundings from inside the tent.
- Durability - Aluminum alloy frame for unbeatable strength.
How the FSR High Country 80” Compares With Other Rooftop Tents
- Size - One of the largest living spaces offered by any rooftop tent.
- Extra thick mattress - 2.5” high-density foam bed surface for a peaceful night’s sleep.
The FSR High Country 80” is one of the few rooftop tents that can comfortably sleep five campers. The interior dimensions are enormous and form nearly a perfect square, making it ideal for comfortably sharing the space among a large group.
Which Rooftop Tents Can Be Used With a Toyota 4Runner?
A rooftop tent is a camping accommodation that can be installed on the bed or roof rack of a motor vehicle.
If you’re a Toyota 4Runner owner, most rooftop tents can be installed on your roof rack.
Before buying a tent for your 4Runner, make sure that the tent’s weight doesn’t exceed your vehicle’s roof rack weight capacity. Packed rooftop tents weigh between 100–200 lbs.
Vehicles and roof racks have two different weight capacities:
- Static weight: How much weight a vehicle can support when parked
- Dynamic weight: How much weight a vehicle can support during driving
Static weight limits are higher, i.e. a vehicle can handle more weight when it’s parked.
Weight capacity varies by vehicle, and tent weights also vary. So, review the specifications of both your 4Runner model and the tents you’re considering before making a purchase.
Advantages and Benefits of Rooftop Tents
For avid campers, a rooftop tent changes everything.
Here are some of the advantages you’ll enjoy when traveling with a rooftop tent.
Fast, Easy Installation
Rooftop tents might be luxurious, but that doesn’t mean they’re tough to set up. Quite the opposite is true.
You’ll never spend more than 10 minutes (usually only 3–4 minutes) setting up your rooftop tent.
After you undo a few straps, the entire tent simply “pops” into place. Drop your ladder, toss your gear inside, and you’re good to go.
Comfort and Security
If you’ve only camped in traditional ground tents, you won’t believe what you’ve been missing.
Instead of tossing and turning on an awful sleeping pad on the ground, you’ll doze blissfully on a foam mattress installed on a flat, firm base.
Safely up high on the top of your vehicle, you’ll also be protected from all the ground-level hazards that can be a worry in traditional campsites, like insects, mud, and predators.
Price Range for Rooftop Tents
Let’s have a look at the current Rooftop Tents USA price range for two-person through five-person tents.
Note that some tents are categorized for a range of campers, e.g., 2–3 person tents, and are included in multiple rows below. Three-person tents are the most common, so that group has the widest price range.
Rooftop Tent Size
What People Are Saying About Rooftop Tents
Among campers who made the switch to rooftop tents, here are a few reasons why they’ll never go back to ground-level camping:
- Safer, more comfortable camping makes camping trips more accessible for more people.
- Amazingly fast installation means you can camp more often with less hassle.
- Small campsite footprint makes it possible to camp in more locations.
Pair Your Toyota 4Runner With a Rooftop Tent
Ready to explore? Rooftop Tents USA has the best tents to turn your 4Runner into the ultimate adventure vehicle. View our entire collection of rooftop tents here.
Subscribe to our newsletter
Promotions, new products and sales. Directly to your inbox.
Free & Fast shipping
Free shipping on all orders - no minimum order required!
Hassle Free Returns
Check out our Return Policy
Speak to our RTT experts!
Your payment information is processed securely.