4 Person Rooftop Tents
A four-person rooftop tent isn’t for everybody. Some folks camp in smaller groups and others don’t camp often enough to justify the expense.
However, if you’re an avid adventurer who needs to keep the whole crew cozy and happy, a four-person rooftop tent is a game-changer.
Rooftop tents make it easier than ever before to camp more often, in more places, with no hassle.
In this guide, you’ll learn:
- What a four-person rooftop tent is
- Advantages of four-person rooftop tents
- Where to find the best rooftop tents on the market
(Click the link to jump ahead)
Best for All-Weather Camping
- Sleeps up to four people
- Has a heavy-duty double insulated one-piece diamond plated base
- The body fabric is heavy and durable
- Has 6 built-in interior storage pouches
In all of their tents, Overland Vehicle Systems (OVS) prioritizes material strength and all-seasons durability.
Important Features of the OVS Nomadic 4
- Weatherproof body - 600D poly cotton rip-stop material
- Extra-strong frame - Marine-grade 304 stainless steel hardware
- Advanced weight capacity - Handles more weight than other leading models, up to 950 lbs
Best for Comfortable Camping
- Sleeps up to five people
- Built-in skylight provides an enhanced view
- Comfort is assured thanks to the durable and strong aluminum frame and high-density foam mattress
If a restful night’s sleep is your priority, consider the Hutch Tents Ontario 4. You’ll get an extra thick mattress, roomy dimensions, and skylights for admiring the starry sky as you fall asleep.
Important Features of the Hutch Tents Ontario 4
- Lightweight - At just 145 lbs, this is the lightest model in the four-person category
- Extra thick mattress - Built-in 2.5” high-density foam mattress with wash cover
- Annex section - Option to include an annex for extra living space
Best for Large Groups
- Its fold-out design can accommodate up to five people
- Soft shell design with enhanced tri-layer technology
- Minimized storage footprint with increased living space when open
- Ample storage space thanks to two hanging shoe and storage pockets
The Freespirit Recreation High Country 80” is a four-person tent that can actually handle up to five campers. This tent maintains a low profile when packed, but creates an incredibly roomy living space when opened up.
Important Features of the FRS High Country 80”
- Spacious interior - Sleeps five campers plus gear
- Oversized windows - Enjoy 360° views of your surroundings
- Toolkit - Includes all-purpose toolkit
Best Low-Priced 4 Person Tent
- Sleeps up to four people
- Added accessibility and privacy thanks to the underside opening
- Fully waterproof construction
- Includes innovative features, such a mosquito net, shoe bag, and interior LED light
Perhaps you want to experience everything that rooftop camping has to offer, but you’d rather shop on the low end of the price range. If so, check out the modestly-priced Smittybilt Overlander XL.
Important Features of the FRS Smittybilt Overlander XL
- Waterproof and durable - Body made from heavy-duty 600D ripstop polyester
- Interior lighting - Comes with an interior LED light strip
- Sleeps 4 campers comfortably - Open dimensions of 122″ W x 76″ L x 51″ High with 770 lb weight capacity
What Is a 4 Person Roof Top Tent?
A rooftop tent is a camping accommodation that can be installed on the roof or bed of a motor vehicle. Rooftop tent camping provides an outdoor experience that’s secure and comfy, even when your campsite is rugged or your ground-level space is limited.
Rooftop tents are available in these sizes:
Larger tents are a bit heavier and higher-priced but can sleep more campers with superior comfort.
Picking the appropriate rooftop tent depends on your typical camping group size. However, if you camp with a full family or a group of friends, a roomy four-person rooftop tent might be just what you’re looking for.
Advantages and Benefits of 4 Person Rooftop Tents
Rooftop tent camping opens up a world of possibilities for nomadic travelers and weekend campground visitors alike.
With a plus-sized model, such as a four-person tent, rooftop tent camping is extra cozy—even for large groups.
Here are the top benefits you’ll enjoy with your four-person rooftop tent.
Fast and Easy Installation
When you see a rooftop tent unfurled in all its glory, it might seem like it will take a bit of work to get it set up. In fact, compared to traditional tents, rooftop tent installation is simpler and faster.
You’ll spend no more than 10 minutes (usually only 3–4 minutes) setting up a rooftop tent.
When you open up a rooftop tent, the entire structure simply “pops” into position. Undo a few straps, drop down your ladder, and you’re good to go.
Safety and Comfort
The experience of camping in a rooftop tent is nothing like spending a night in a traditional tent.
Instead of rolling around on a tiny sleeping pad on the bumpy ground, you’ll sleep peacefully on a foam mattress installed on a firm, flat base.
Situated above your vehicle, you’ll also be protected from ground-level hazards like mud, insects, and curious predators.
Common Features of 4 Person Rooftop Tents
The most striking feature of rooftop tents is their incredibly quick installation process. Just undo a few straps and the tent basically sets itself up in an instant.
Along with convenience, rooftop tents provide enhanced comfort. Your campsite is elevated, flat, safe, and cozy.
In a traditional tent, you have to deal with the confines and bumpiness of your terrain. With a rooftop tent, it’s possible to camp comfortably anywhere you can park your vehicle.
Here are a few more key features that differentiate rooftop tents from traditional tents.
1 - Hard Shell or Soft Shell Design
Rooftop tents come in two varieties: hard shell or soft shell. Both types attach to roof racks and pop open for speedy installation.
Hard shell tents are extra strong, as the hard shell top pops open to form the tent’s solid roof. Meanwhile, soft shell tents usually provide more interior space.
2 - Ladder Access
A rooftop tent is accessed by ladder. The ladder is built-in and pops out when you open up the tent. Rooftop tent ladders use a telescoping design so that they can reduce in size for storage efficiency and easily expand during tent installation.
3 - Built-In Mattress
A major component of a rooftop tent’s superior comfort is the built-in mattress. Rooftop tent mattresses are made with high-density foam. The mattress fills your entire floor area, providing corner-to-corner comfort.
Now, let’s check out four of our favorite four-person rooftop tents.
Price Range for 4 Person Roof Top Tents
Here are the current Rooftop Tents USA prices for the models featured in this guide.
OVS Nomadic 4 Extended Rooftop Tent
Hutch Tents Ontario 4 Rooftop Tent with Skylights
Freespirit Recreation High Country 80” Premium Rooftop Tent
Smittybilt Overlander XL Rooftop Tent
What People Are Saying About 4 Person Rooftop Tents
Campers of all experience levels love rooftop tents. The incredibly easy installation process, enhanced comfort for a good night’s sleep, and the security of elevated camping are all top selling points.
In a four-person rooftop tent, all the advantages of rooftop tent camping are sized up to accommodate large groups.
Here’s what happy customers love about their four-person tents:
- Incredibly roomy and comfortable for a great night’s sleep
- Price difference is modest compared to smaller models
- Just as easy to set up as smaller rooftop tents
Rooftop Tents for Limitless Outdoor Adventures
If you love adventure, upgrading to a rooftop tent changes everything. With this one move, your entire off-road experience is completely recharged. Camp more often, more comfortably, and in more places.
At Rooftop Tents USA, we love the freedom that rooftop tents provide. We’re passionate travelers on a mission to help more people connect with the great outdoors.
View all of our rooftop tents here
Any questions? Contact Rooftop Tents USA via email, chat, or phone and we’ll get back to you within one hour during business hours.
Subscribe to our newsletter
Promotions, new products and sales. Directly to your inbox.
Free & Fast shipping
Free shipping on all orders - no minimum order required!
Hassle Free Returns
Check out our Return Policy
Speak to our RTT experts!
Your payment information is processed securely.