Best Roof Top Tents for Rav4
Since its debut, the Toyota RAV4 has displayed outstanding excellence and endurance on the road, becoming one of the top sought-after overlanding vehicles.
Designed to stay tight on your RAV4’s roof, a rooftop tent is your safe tower, keeping you out of animals’ and creepers’ reach when camping. It’s super quick to set up and will stand even in the most rugged terrain, giving you all the versatility you need.
But not all rooftop tents are the same. Differences in size, sleeping capacity, price, and design can make buying the best one for your RAV4 overwhelming.
So, to simplify your selection, we’ve provided valuable insights on rooftop tents for your RAV4 and reviewed the best 4 on the market.
Here’s what you’ll learn:
- The different types of rooftop tents for RAV4
- Why it’s important to have an RTT for your RAV4
- The common features of RAV4 rooftop tents
- The current prices of the best RTTs for RAV4
- What RAV4 owners love about their rooftop tents
(Click the link to jump ahead)
⭐ Score 9.2/10
The Best Budget Rooftop Tent
- High quality, low-cost tent
- Marine-grade 600 rip-stop polyester body fabric
- Extremely lightweight (100 lbs)
- Includes a skylight
The OVS TMBK 3 Person Roof Top Tent is often the first rooftop tent we suggest to RAV4 owners looking to bag a high-quality tent without breaking the bank.
TMBK’s body is made of marine-grade 600D rip-stop waterproof polyester fabric that’s strong enough to keep you safe and comfortable in bad weather, just like other high-cost tents.
Important Features of the OVS TMBK Rooftop Tent
- Super lightweight - Weighs only 100 lbs, hence easy to transport and install
- Includes a rainfly - Prevents water leaks into the tent when it rains
- Has a skylight - For a better sky viewing experience
How the OVS TMBK Compares With Other RAV4 Roof Top Tents
- Lightweight - The OVS TMBK is the lightest rooftop design in our list, weighing only 108 lbs. This makes it super easy to install and transport.
- Maximum comfort - The RTT features a 3” high-density foam mattress. This is thicker than most RTT mattresses which have a thickness range of 2–2.5”.
⭐ Score 9.7/10
Best for Panoramic Viewing
- Oversized windows which offer a 360° view
- Sleeping capacity of 2–3
- An optional annex for extra sleeping space
The FSR High Country 55" Rooftop Tent has large windows that offer a 360° view of your surroundings, providing a better view of scenic environments by day.
Important Features of the FSR High Country 55" Rooftop Tent
- Tri-layer body fabric technology - It ensures the tent retains heat in cold temperatures but releases it in hot weather, keeping you comfortable in any season.
- Lightning-fast setup - The integrated gas struts ensure fast setup—usually within 15–30 seconds.
- Panoramic views - It provides a complete 360° view of your surroundings.
How the High Country 55” Compares With Other RAV4 Roof Top Tents
- Fastest installation time - The FSR High Country 55” takes less than 60 seconds to set up, thanks to its integrated gas struts which activate its deployment. This is an extremely fast speed, compared to most RTTs which take 3–5 minutes to install.
- Fabric design - The RTTs use a tri-layer body fabric technology which most rooftop tents lack to provide a conducive sleeping environment in any season.
⭐ Score 9.4/10
Best Hard Shell Rooftop Tent
- Comfortably sleeps up to 2 or 3 campers, depending on the model
- Tri-layer fabric technology insulates its body
- Built-in LED lighting that illuminates the tent
- Aerodynamic design that keeps it intact when traveling
At only 7” tall, the FSR Odyssey is the most streamlined hard shell RTT on the market. Its aerodynamic and low-profile design ensures your RAV4's MPG (miles per gallon) remains the same throughout your journey, massively reducing fuel consumption.
Important Features of the FSR Odyssey Roof Top Tent
- Lightning-fast setup - Setup is automated and super fast, ensuring your tent is up within seconds
- Aerodynamic design - Fits well on your RAV4’s roof, so you’ll drive without worrying about the tent falling off
- Tri-layer fabric - Insulates the tent, keeping you warm on cold nights and cold on warm nights
How the FSR Odyssey Series Compares With Other RAV4 Roof Top Tents
- Soft sleeping surface - The FSR Odyssey Series features a 1.25” high-density foam mattress and 1.5” EPE flooring which offers a surface soft enough for a good night’s sleep.
- Hard shell design - It’s the only hard shell design in our list, providing unique features such as more durability and easy storage.
⭐ Score 9.3/10
Best for All Seasons Camping
- Comfortably sleeps a family of 4
- All seasons camping rooftop tent
- Includes an anti-condensation mat that keeps the mattress dry
- A built-in skylight for skygazing
If you’re looking to camp in the rainy season without worrying about soaking in the heavy rains, the Hutch Tents Ontario 4 RTT is for you. The 4-season tent is built with sturdy construction that can withstand extreme weather conditions, from heavy hailstorms to the scorching sun.
Important Features of the Hutch Tents Ontario 4 Roof Top Tent
- Includes an optional annex - Ideal if you need extra space to sleep, store camping gear, or shelter from rain or sun
- Built-in skylight - Excellent for sky gazing at night
- 2.5” high-density foam mattress - Thick and comfortable mattress to provide maximum comfort for a great night’s sleep
How the Hutch Tents Ontario 4 Compares With Other RAV4 Roof Top Tents
- It’s a 4-season tent - Built with strong materials, the Hutch Tents Ontario 4 can withstand heavy rains and strong winds, letting you camp at any time of the year, in any season.
- Extra sheltered storage - The tent comes with an optional annex, a unique feature that offers extra sheltered ground space when needed.
⭐ Score 9.7/10
Best for Maximum Comfort
- 3” high-density foam mattress
- 1000G PVC heavy-duty travel cover
- Built-in LED light strip that illuminates the tent
- Includes a rainfly that prevents water leaks
With its 3” high-density foam mattress, the OVS Nomadic 3 rooftop tent will ensure you have the most comfortable sleep after a long day of travel.
It’s also spacious enough to comfortably sleep up to 3 people, excellent for small families and traveler duos with a pet.
Important Features of the OVS Nomadic 3 Roof Top Tent
- Premium high-density foam mattress - 3” thick high-density mattress provides maximum comfort as you rest
- Skylight window - Makes it a spectacular tent for viewing the skies at night
- Ample storage - Includes 6 built-in interior storage pouches
How the OVS Nomadic 3 Compares With Other RAV4 Roof Top Tents
- Large weight capacity - The OVS Nomadic 3 has a great static weight capacity of 850 lbs, adequate to hold even the heaviest rooftop tent and extra cargo.
- Interior lighting - The built-in LED lighting, a rare feature in most RTTs, illuminates its interior, providing ample light on dark nights.
What Is a Roof Top Tent?
A rooftop tent is a camping setup installed on the roof of your RAV4 to provide secure and comfortable accommodation.
While similar to regular ground tents in shape and function, rooftop tents are the best option for your outdoor ventures because:
- Sleeping off the ground means you’re far from animals’ reach
- Setting up a rooftop tent takes less time—usually less than 5 minutes
- Sleeping on your car’s roof means you won’t soak in water when it rains
- Being elevated gives you a better view of your surroundings
Rooftop tents come in 2 major designs: soft shell and hard shell.
Advantages and Benefits of a Roof Top Tent for Your RAV4
Fast and Easy to Set Up and Take Down
Contrary to ground tents, which need stakes, running fly lines, and other equipment, a rooftop tent only requires you to unfold it or undo a few straps, and it will be ready for use.
Packing up the tent is just as easy. Everything folds into the tent’s body, ready for use on the following night or your next camping trip.
A rooftop tent is exceptionally versatile. It allows you to camp anywhere, from a free campsite to a parking lot.
It also keeps you more comfortable and safe than ground tents. RTTs have a built-in high-density mattress that’s thicker than most sleeping bags and air mattresses. And since you’re off the ground level, you won’t have to worry about animals and insects.
Common Features of a Roof Top Tent
1 - A Thick High-Density Mattress
Rooftop tents have a built-in high-density foam mattress that’s thick and comfortable for a good night’s rest.
The OVS Nomadic 3 rooftop tent, for instance, includes a 3” thick high-density foam mattress that’s wider than most rooftop tents, which are 2” thick, giving you maximum rest after a fun camping day.
2 - Robust Construction
All Rooftop Tents USA’s RTTs are built to last. The base, tent’s body, and poles are made with sturdy materials that can withstand severe weather conditions like heavy rains and the scorching sun.
These materials include canvas and polyester for soft shell tents, and hard plastic, aluminum, and fiberglass for hard shell tents.
3 - Extra Large Windows
Our rooftop tents include oversized windows, which give you a panoramic view of the sky and landscape from the comfort of your bed. The windows also provide proper ventilation and cooling in hot weather.
Some RTTs, like the Hutch Tents Prospector 2, include a skylight that allows you to gaze at the beautiful night sky.
Price Range for Roof Top Tents for RAV4
Rooftop Tents USA offers the highest quality RAV4 rooftop tents at the lowest prices in the industry, ensuring you have the best camping experience at a great deal.
Below are the current prices of the RAV4 RTTs we’ve discussed here:
Rooftop Tent For RAV4
OVS TMBK 3-Person Roof Top Tent
FSR High Country 55" Rooftop Tent
Odyssey Series Rooftop Tent
Hutch Tents Ontario 4 Rooftop Tent
OVS Nomadic 3 Rooftop Tent
What RAV4 Owners Are Saying About Their Rooftop Tents
RAV4 owners are thrilled with the lifetime service they receive from our rooftop tents; some with additional features, such as window wire mesh for driving insects away, and an exterior shoe bag for storing muddy shoes.
Here’s what they say about the rooftop tents:
- Super easy to set up and take down
- Have a thick built-in mattress for a comfortable night’s sleep
- Very spacious and comfortably sleeps large families
- More convenient and safer than the regular ground tents
"Just got it and set it up on the gladiator, really nicely made with a simple up and down setup." - Verified OVS TMBK Buyer
"I am very happy with my RTT. Haven’t used it yet but from unboxing it I can tell it’s very well built.” - Verified OVS Nomadic 3 Buyer
Experience the Best Outdoor Adventures With Rooftop Tents USA
Pair your RAV4 with our highest quality rooftop tents, and you’re destined for thrilling adventures.
Whether you want a small tent for solo travels or one spacious enough for a large family, we’ve got it all. You’ll be spoiled for choice with our entire rooftop tent collection below.
Have any inquiries? Contact us, and we’ll respond in a jiffy.
Subscribe to our newsletter
Promotions, new products and sales. Directly to your inbox.
Free & Fast shipping
Free shipping on all orders - no minimum order required!
Hassle Free Returns
Check out our Return Policy
Speak to our RTT experts!
Your payment information is processed securely.